Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dumpling King - China Town, Adelaide



Atmosphere: ***/5
Food: -/5
Drinks: */5
Service: -/5

Located in China Town, Dumpling King has been a popular eatery for some of my friends. It is a cheap eat and caters for big groups, especially good before a night out or after. I have avoided eating here as I already have a favorite place in China Town and I do not eat pig, and the recommendations for meals here are mostly pork based.
     
Deciding to mix up a regular Saturday morning Adelaide Central Market shop, located at the Grote Street side of China Town we headed to Dumpling King, to attempt a meal without pork!


We ordered to share, as suggested by the waitresses; a beef soup, spring onion pancakes, chicken and prawn dumplings and a Shanghai noodle.



Dumpling King on UrbanspoonI find when eating at any cheap eatery that service, atmosphere and the drinks list does not matter as it is being surprised by the food that is put in front of you that makes the place!  With the food being so wonderfully cheap at Dumpling King, and note the free tea at the table, you can not expect service or drinks list to be great, which it wasn't.

I must add however that the atmosphere that trickles in from Chinatown is so vibrant and it is lovely to watch the passing traffic from the neighboring China Town food court and Adelaide Central Markets.



The food does not come out together or in any particular order which would make sense if you were just ordering dumpling related foods, we did not so it made the eating experience really annoying as my main, which was a soup came out fifteen minutes before the rest of the meals.  I recommended when ordering here to state when and what you want to come out together.

The highlight of the meals was defiantly the earwig in the noodles! This is something I have never come across, although I do have a feeling that this has happened before as the waitresses did not bat an eyelid when I returned the meal to the counter and asked if I would like the same! (Which, of course I declined and asked for my money back).

I would not recommend this place to people and I will not be returning to Dumpling King myself however, so many of my friends have been here and loved it even with all it's quirks of insects in dishes, food coming to the table late and the tea on the tables may be a bit old but for under $15 you can get a cheap meal, just make sure you turn up to the door with absolutely no expectations and be prepared for slightly more protein than expected! 

No comments:

Post a Comment