Sunday, June 23, 2013

Restaurant Tranquilo - Stirling

Tranquilo on Urbanspoon


Atmosphere: ***/5
Food: **/5
Drinks: **/5
Service: **/5

Situated on the main street of  Stirling, Restaurant Tranquilo has a old fashioned set up about it with comfortable chairs and tables and for the winter diner a fireplace that keeps the restaurant warm when the hills cold wind is whipping through the town.

The service here is warm, but the floor staff are not managed well enough or trained to do sectioned table service.  For every interaction we had was with a different waiter.  But all were friendly and happy to serve you with a smile.

The most notable thing about this restaurant is that the meals and menu are quite deceptive and overpriced.

Whoever wrote the menus and specials had a way with words because we were quite disappointed when the meals were put forward to us on the plate!

Our entree which was written as sun-dried tomatoes and boutique cheese layered within Turkish bread with dipping sauce was essentially an open cheese toasty with tzatziki dip, the combination of the bread and dip did not work and there was no flavor evidence of sun-dried tomatoes.


'A taste of Italy' which is pasta stuffed with goats cheese and a creamy chive and walnut sauce was bland.  There was no differentiation between the cheese inside the pasta and the cream itself, which is a shame as goats cheese is such a unique flavor within and of itself.

We also ordered the steak sandwich, which, for a whopping $25.50 and an eloquent introduction on the menu we were expecting a sandwich for kings.  Instead, we were served with average quality ingredients and a 'smaller than sandwich' Turkish bread and around ten chips.   This was so disappointing as I always feel restaurants should compare meals like this to what you can get at your local fish and chip shop or the local pub and try and triple it (as you do the price) and to be honest with you I would have preferred a cheaper version from your local Chicken Shop.


I don't want to give up on this place as the people that are writing the wine and food menu seem to be trying so hard on paper. However, if you do go, choose wisely with the food menu and ask the waiters for help on what to order otherwise, like us, you might feel like you could have saved a lot of hard earned money and headed to the Chicken Shop.



9 comments:

  1. Wow, is this the same place I have eaten at at least a dozen times and not been anything other than delighted with their food quality & value and the staff that serve it? I regard it as my go-to restaurant when I do not want to be disappointed. Every time I order off the blackboard that changes daily it has been a winner. What exactly did you think you were getting when you ordered something written as "cheese layered within Turkish bread"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment regarding Tranquilo. I have often read critiques of my favourite eatery with mixed responses, which can make me feel I want to reply with a negative response. This was my honest opinion of my experience which may differ from person to person. When I ordered something cheese layered within turkish bread with sun-dried tomatoes I did not have any expectations but was wanting and hoping to give something different a go! And was hoping for it to bring something new and different to the table. I have noted in the review that I could not see or taste the sun dried tomatoes. I have not suggested people stay away from the place, I highlighted the wonderful warm atmosphere, and have suggested that what I ordered was disappointing, however I have not commented that the meals were uneditable or that it is a horrible place. I hope that is a sufficient response to your comment.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough, lets call it a difference of opinion and I'll just assume you must have got them on what is in my experience a very rare bad day. For what it's worth though, I quite enjoy your blog generally and I reckon you do a pretty good job, keep it up!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if only we all had such a care free life as yourself commenting on people that work for a living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unsure at how you know what I do for a living and how hard I work. This is also irrelevant to this particular blog. As I had responded to the first comment everyone has different opinions and we all have a wonderful platform such as blogging to express our own views. I have not suggested this restaurant is the worst in the area, I have given my own honest opinion. Thank you for your feedback and comments

      Delete
  4. you should be so lucky to comment on peoples businesses that work hard for a living unlike yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unsure at how you know how hard I work. This is also irrelevant to this particular blog. As I had responded to the first comment everyone has different opinions and we all have a wonderful platform such as blogging to express our own views. I have not suggested this restaurant is the worst in the area, I have given my own honest opinion. Thank you for your feedback and comments

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete